Becky focuses her practice in corporate and transactional law, with an emphasis on start-up and growth companies, as well as their investors. Becky is a trusted advisor for companies through the various phases of the startup lifecycle and often works closely with the founding leadership from formation to exit. Becky guides clients through navigating entity formation, raising and investing capital, negotiating commercial contracts, and advising on purchase, sale, and investment transactions. Becky also counsels social enterprise organizations and impact investors to help them effect positive change.
Prior to joining SPZ, Becky worked as an attorney at an Am Law 200 firm helping build the firm’s nationwide venture practice. Becky has represented hundreds of companies throughout the startup lifecycle and is energized by working with passionate, creative, and driven leaders. Becky counsels clients in various industries from technology and software, health and fitness, beauty, food and beverage, and professional services.
Becky graduated from the University of Denver’s School of Law with a certificate in Corporate and Commercial Law. During law school, Becky co-founded the Venture Law Society and the student-run venture capital group Pioneer Venture Group. She also founded a pro bono legal clinic for early-stage entrepreneurs through the Downtown Denver Partnership at The Commons on Champa. Additionally, Becky completed the University’s year long QF Social Enterprise Fellowship program. She gained experience as a law clerk and associate attorney at Michael Best, and as a legal intern at global nonprofit Accion, an organization that focuses on microfinance and fintech impact investing. Earlier, Becky served as a legal intern at the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and as a legal intern at Galvanize, Inc., a Colorado-based emerging-growth company focused on technology education.
Becky attended the University of California, Berkeley for her undergraduate degree in Media Studies where she developed her passion for working with startup companies and entrepreneurs.
Becky’s personal interests include running, hiking, traveling, fostering rescue pups, volunteering with youth advocacy nonprofits, and learning about organizational leadership.
Honors & Recognitions
- Expert Columnist, Built In, 2022 and 2023
- Pathfinder, Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, 2021
- Inno Under 25 list, Colorado Inno, 2019
- Transactional Law Student of the Year, University of Denver Sturm College of Law, 2019
- Student Leader of the Year, University of Denver Sturm College of Law, 2018 and 2019
- First-place Finalist for the LawMeets national transactional law competition, 2018
- First-place Finalist for the Berkeley-Haas Entrepreneurship Award in 2014
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Colorado Women’s Bar Association
- Member, Colorado Bar Association
- Member, Women of M&A Network, Boulder Chapter
- Chairperson (2019-2021) and Advisor (2019-2023), Pioneer Venture Group at the University of Denver
- Director, Colorado “I Have A Dream Foundation” Board of Directors (2022-2023)
- Adjunct Professor (2023), University of Denver
Becky is admitted to practice in Colorado.